Pesky Numbers

Laura Lippman, Baltimore's best mystery novelist, tells the truth about book readings. How does she feel about an audience of sixteen people?

I count that turnout a success. I count anything above nine a success. Five-to-nine, perfectly respectable. Two-to-four, an intimate gathering. Zero: a misprint in the schedule has kept my public away. The only thing that bums me out is one. And then only because I feel sorry for the poor stranger who now feels obligated to stay and listen.

She should keep up the blogging, don't you think?

I wonder why the book world has such issues with numbers (how many books sold does it take to make a bestseller, how many copies of a book have been printed, etc - all mysteries or half-truths) Is it because they're not good at the math? Or will it just be all too embarassingly obvious that people don't buy books?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atomic Reading Club 2024: The End

Atomic Reading Club 2023 - Outer Limits

Baltimore Record Shops - 40 Years Ago