Required Reading: Ellen Kennedy's Poetry

Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs
by Ellen Kennedy

I am usually loathe to recommend books of contemporary poetry to people. Partly because it's such a deeply personal experience, it's tricky. Partly because no one ever asks me to recommend poetry. But mostly because I just don't want to encourage people. Most of the people who read poetry are frustrated poets themselves. In the interest of full-disclosure, that includes me too. I have a moldy, over-stuffed folder of my college work in a box labeled "Open only in the event of my death, and probably best to not even open then." But Ellen Kennedy is one of those rare poets - she's personable, witty, funny, charming, accessible, and with titles like "Probably Going To Die Alone", "Ants Can Never Die By Falling", "I Went To The Grocery Store Today", "My Dog Is A Little Obese" you know these are poems that we can all relate to - the kind that frequently make you spit food out of your mouth laughing if you read them while eating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atomic Books Special Announcement

Baltimore Record Shops - 40 Years Ago

Atomic Reading Club 2026: Little Big Ideas