Pat Aulisio's Best Comics Of 2013

As is our annual tradition, we invited a number of our friends who are also cartoonists, comics publishers and editors to tell us what their favorite comics of 2013 were. We'll be publishing them all over the next few weeks.

Pat Aulisio is the creator of Bowman and the publisher of Yeah Dude Comics. Visit his website.

Best of the Year: Copra by Michel Fiffe.
Biggest inspiration to me every month this year.

Best Reprint: Complete Marshal Law by Peter Milligan and Kevin O'Neill (DC Comics)
Why did DC release this Epic/Marvel comic? I love that it has all the extra pin-ups and random covers.

Best Sequel: Raw Power 2 by Josh Bayer (Retrofit Comics)
You can't stop Bayer. He came out with 2 Rom sequels this year too, but RP2 is still the best.

Best Not From 2013 But Still New To Me: Cartoon Utopia by Ron Rege Jr. (Fantagraphics)
I got this 2012 book a few months ago and I'm still looking at.

Best Graphic Novel: Stink Helmet by Otto Splotch and School Spirits by Anya Davidson (PictureBox)
I only got 2 graphic novels that came out this year, Stink Helmet by Otto Splotch, and School Spirits by Anya Davidson. Stink Helmet is definitely the funniest comic too. I haven't finished School Spirits yet, but it's great so far.

Best News: Stray Bullets is coming back!
My favorite comic ever is supposedly returning! Remember in the last few issues that were released they had a preview for a book called Parallax Man? I still want to see that!

Best Workmanship: Box Brown came out with 100 different comics this year.

Funniest Personal Comic Book Related Moment: When Victor Kerlow was messing with the clerk at the liquor store at SPX.

Best Craft Book: Epoxy 4 by John Pham.
Everything about this book blew me away.

Best Cool Big Book: Understanding Monster by Theo Ellsworth (Secret Acres)

Best Cover: Future Shock #4 cover by Jordan Speer, edited by Josh Burggraf (Birdcage Bottom Books)

Best Screenprint Comic: Dormitory by Conor Stetchshulte

Best Anthology: Monster 3 (Hidden Fortress Press)
I think it's the 3rd? The one that had 3 books in a Heather Benjamin jacket.

Honorable Mentions:
all the comics Michael Olivo came out with this year
Blades and Lasers by Ben Marra
Illogical Comic Dailies by Tom Toye
Lazlos Hammer and Ditko Public Service Package (both the Kickstarter books) by Steve Ditko
Squirt-Stone by Ben Constantine
Bittersweet Romance by Bald Eagles

Best Comics I Didn't Get But I'm Sure I Would Love: Fran by Jim Woodring (Fantagraphics) and Battling Boy by Paul Pope (First Second)
2 of my favorite artists of all time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atomic Reading Club 2024: The End

Atomic Reading Club 2023 - Outer Limits

Baltimore Record Shops - 40 Years Ago